Saturday, January 14, 2012

United Airlines' New Frontier in Ripoffs

I had about $500 worth of electronics gear stolen from my luggage in June. I spent several hours figuring out how to download the claim forms. After I filled them out, I got a brief note indicating that they received my submission.

Then I heard nothing. I spent many hours -- my guess is more than 20, mostly spent on wait times -- trying to contact somebody. I could get to an Indian call center, which could not give me any information on what to do.

After several months, I was informed that I had not included the tag from my baggage, which I did. I resent it. Many weeks later, I learned that I never sent it according to their records. After several iterations, I learned that my claim was denied because the company never received the tags.

A lawyer friend sent a letter to United. Now in January, I received a letter informing me that United does not accept responsibility for lost electronics.

3 comments:

Daro said...

I worked 15 years in IT but have abandoned the field. The soul destroying takeover of mini fiefdoms, each with their own sub-manager furiously justifying his own existence results in customer wait times of over a week to not fix their problem. Customer mgt. has entered the Dark Ages.

You have been call centered. Have a nice day.

Ken Houghton said...

Have your lawyer friend send them another note, this one making Very Clear that they are STOLEN, not lost, electronics.

With a copy to the Better Business Bureau.

Stephina Suzzane said...

The only thing that we know is that we know nothing and that is the highest flight of human wisdom.

Cheap Flights to New York